Thursday, December 1, 2011

Love Them Like Jesus

 Last week could have been one of my hardest weeks here. Last week was a big week in my life. Sunday I missed my mother's birthday. For those of you that don't know me very well, my mom and dad are two of my best friends. To not be there and hug her and kiss her and tell her happy birthday was hard.  I had to email her roses because I couldn't be there to deliver them.  Then Monday I accomplished two years of sobriety and service to the Kingdom. My family here was proud of me but it was still different.  Its a big accomplishment in my life and I wasn't able to share it with my family.  Then Thursday came around. This was the first Thanksgiving that I was away from my family. In Colombia, Thanksgiving isn't even celebrated; actually, very few people even know it exists let alone what its about.  God did provide me with friends here in Bogota that decided to start a Thanksgiving tradition.  Carlos invited me into his home and I shared Thanksgiving with his beautiful family, and extended family as well. I shared my story of how and why I came to Bogota. This was my first Colombian Thanksgiving meal. It was pretty close to home I might add!

Last week was a blur. We had our normal English classes in San Miguel with the girls.  There are many new girls in this emergency center so they kept it fun.  After the week of studying and classes, we played jeopardy another time.  Its been a big hit with the girls.  The competitive spirit is awesome! I tried a class with the boys and lets just say I need to come up with some other ideas.  That class ended up with them asking me what USA is like and what I think about the food here. Very few of them have an interest in learning English and many of them say its unimportant to them.  So lets just say I'm working on a plan to gain their interests. I'm thinking of making them some Christian rap and rock CDs and then translating them during classes. If you have any other ideas I would love them!


Last Wednesday I went to visit my Goddaughters at Santa Maria for my weekly visit.  I learned that Wednesdays are the days that any family the girls have can visit for the morning.  I met their mother and 16 year old sister that will soon be having a baby. It was a new experience for me but their mother thanked me for taking care of her daughters and loving them while they went through these circumstances.

However many children didn't get visits. A lot of the girls here at Santa Maria don't have families. They have been abandoned or their parents are dead. This was very heart breaking. I have to say this day I excused myself to the back and let a few tears fall. I love all of these children as if they are my own and just can't imagine not wanting them. Everywhere I went there was another beautiful angel in tears, wanting their mother or their father. Many of them have only been without families for a few months, some even a few weeks. For many of the girls this is their first Christmas without their family. In this I can relate. This is my first Christmas without my family, and I'm very upset, but I won't leave these children alone. I will trust God to comfort me as I use Him to comfort His beautiful children. I constantly tell them they are not alone because the teachers there in the Princessita Casa love them very much! Oscar and I also contribute more love than we physically have in this home! When people ask how many children I have here I can't give an answer because all of them are mine.  But more important than the love they receive from us, their Father loves them and will never leave nor forsake them.  Last Wednesday, I was able to share my Father with many of the girls there.  God definitely came through with some extra love because I gave those girls all I had plus everything God had supplied me with.  These children are fantastic and want nothing more than to be loved. They want to have a family they belong to. Whether they live in the United States and I have to help communicate or they live here in Colombia, they just want to be loved! These are some of the smiles I managed to have emerge at Santa Maria on the right. The smallest gestures to us are so much to them. Vanessa just loves to wear my jacket or carry my backpack. It can be incredibly hot and she will wear that jacket until I practically have to pry it off of her to go home! Many days I leave every bit of energy I have in these homes. I give out all the love and joy I have each and every day coming home exhausted but I wouldn't change it for the world!


  Last Saturday, I shared my testimony with San Miguel emergency center.  I shared my previous lifestyle before Christ. Many did not believe but it was all true; a life I will only talk about to show the mercy and grace of my Savior.  I told of my first visit to Bogota and how God really broke me down. How in 10 days God showed me I didn't need all the things back home I thought were necessities. I talked of how I sold everything I own and moved to Colombia. How I left a home that was very comfortable and now I sleep on a mattress on the floor. I had a great paying job with benefits and now I volunteer 100% of my time for no payment. I live in faith knowing that God will provide the things I need. Life here is very different.  Washing machines aren't in every home. Many homes wash their clothes by hand and hang to dry. Here in Colombia is the first time I have EVER hung my clothes to dry. The kids laughed as I talked about how I had to adjust to a completely new life style. To them its normal but to me its very different. Then the question was asked: "Why would you leave such a great life and come here?" My answer was spoken before I could even think and there was silence right after. It was short, sweet and all the exact reason I'm here. I said, "I did it for you guys." Once I thought a little bit I let them know that laughing and seeing their smiles everyday are far better than any paycheck or even bonus check I have ever received. Then I really thought about it and told them, " you know what my life may have been luxurious but honestly it wasn't that great. I'm happier here than I ever was in Texas." Their happiness is worth more than money and to me and its way more important.  I know God will provided the necessary funds for me to live my life here. I'm not over here to live like a king.  I eat the same food the kids do. I sleep on the floor. I walk to work. I roll in the grass just like them. Being one of them has made me happier than I have ever been; and the entire time I'm laughing and having fun the Light is just bursting out of me! I told them all of that to share with them Philippians 4:11-13. Paul writes that he has lived in need and want but also a life in which he was provided for. He says that no matter the situation he found happiness in Jesus Christ and that "I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength." After I finished talking a young girl in that home that I have been helping with English got up and shared what God means to her and how He has helped her through her situation and her life in the institution. I was beaming with joy to hear God stories come from these children!


And for those of you that want to see what a normal day in Bogota during winter is like here ya go:
Rain, Rain, and More Rain! Everyday!

Until next time may God bless you and happy holidays!


From His Front Lines,

Chris Poole
James 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment