Monday, November 14, 2011

Tu Eres Para Mi

Well first off I must apologize for this being so late! After spending an entire day with these kiddos and an amazing dinner by my Spiritual Mother, Nelda, I am ready for bed! You know, I worked harder in the U.S. but I'm more tired after a day of work here in Bogota; I think it's because here I'm giving these kids everything I have, everyday!

Since my last post big things have been happening here.  On Friday Nov 4, Oscar and I woke up and decided to go visit the babies of San Miguelito.  Upon our arrival we found out that the house was at Futbol con Corozon but the expecting mothers and new mothers were home.  After a quick strategy planning, we decided to share a little Word from God with them.  I shared with the girls that I once had made many mistakes and the things God has delivered me from.  They were all so surprised to hear I came from a life of violence and drugs.  I told them in no way am I proud of this past but God has used it to His advantage! We studied Philippians 1:6 "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." We shared with them that the day that God created them in His eyes they were perfect, and still are! This produced some big smiles considering their situations.  I assured them that God still does love them and thinks of them everyday. That He will not quit on them and will continue to perfect His good works.  After we were done we had 2 girls with many questions, Claudia and Jouanna. They weren't sure if God still cared for them and after a discussion and assurance through Scripture these two young ladies made the best decision of their lives; they decided they were daughters of the King and accepted Christ as their savior.  They want to raise their soon to be born children in a Godly way and under His eye. My heart was bursting with joy I have to admit! Their decision gave me extra hope and extra strength for my work here in Bogota.

I'm going to fast forward this story for a week, it gets better! When we left the first Friday, the girls asked when we would be back. We returned the next Friday morning and the girls were all ready to study the bible.  We shared Matthew 4 and assured them temptation is a MUST but sin in the option.  They now understand the closer they are the our Father the more the enemy will try to tempt them. They understand it is then that you must stand in His faith and strength and they will prevail! After this message we had a few more questions.  Some of the girls began sharing Scripture they like. As this was happening my heart was smiling so big my face had to show it! This day we had 10 more girls decide to be "hijas de Dios"!  They even asked for Bibles with the new and old testament so they can continue to study! In this time all I could say was, "Thank you Jesus!" We are winning souls for the Kingdom and our faithfulness is bearing its first fruits!

Since the last post, I've been able to visit Santa Maria, the home my "ahijadas viven", a few times. Seeing my girls run to me with arms wide open is a unexplainable feeling! We go for the morning and help Pastor Lucas share a short message and a few worship songs with each of the houses there at the institution.  After we are done we have a few hours to play with the girls.  I can tell you this, on the bus ride home Oscar and I SLEEP! I have no idea where all their energy comes from but they have so much! Vanessa and Angie always send hugs and kisses with Doraine, the wife of Pastor Lucas, because they know I see her pretty often. I never knew the love of a child could change your perspective on life. The girls needed shoes, theirs were torn and worn out. I went and bought them each a new pair and the smiles on their faces were a great feeling! On the first visit Oscar had his heart broken by a little girl! He now understands the way I felt and why I had to return to Colombia. Since that day he always talks about his ahijada, Mayeili!

The love from these children is unexplainable. Their smiles are worth every sacrifice made. The next visit we showed up with hair bows and a bunch of girly hair things for them. They were ecstatic! To be able to make their day with such a small gesture of love was amazing! I love being able to see my girls every week and although the walk to their home is about a mile down a muddy road, its so worth it! We barely make it through the gate before the girls are sprinting across the field to be the first to hug us! Angie never smiles for pictures but I caught her this time!

We visited one of the emergency centers and once again found most of the children would be viewing a movie.  There were some that were left behind due to poor behavior and they asked if we would conduct an English class for them.  I am no very sorry to every teacher I've ever had for being a horrible student! The kids were precious but I think I learned more Spanish than they did English. We constantly told them to sit down and stop hitting each other! It was definitely an experience to remember! We did have two students though that were very eager to learn English and they stood in the front of the room with me soaking in every bit; they even helped me with my Spanish verbs! Being able to help these children is amazing! I don't receive a paycheck for it but what I do receive is eternal and something that cannot be taken from me!
Most of my classes start with pronunciation of the letters in our alphabet.
I spend a lot of time visiting Casa de Egreso. This is the half way house here in Bogota. I typically help them with their English homework in small groups but this past week we decided to have a class. The kids that were home attended and it was very good! These older kids are eager to learn and participate! We started with pronunciation of the alphabet and all of us sang the ABC song! We then worked on informal conversation. They all were asked their name, age, where they were from and hobbies and answered in English very well! Then they had small conversations with one another in English.

I have been able to spend the most time at San Miguel with the girls there teaching English. We have studied days, months, body parts, kitchen, and of course clothes! To be honest these classes make my heart burst with joy! I am by no means an English teacher but we have so much fun learning; who would have known that is possible?! We had our first test last week in the form of jeopardy! We put some words in English and some in Spanish.  They had to say the word in the opposite language and if they could spell it correctly they got extra points.  The girls absolutely loved it and for the first time we had the attention of every single student and their teachers! The game got very serious and was a close game but The Iguanas came out on top! Unfortunately we were so into the game that we didn't get any pictures :(

I also got to experience "microfutbol".  Its played on a concrete field with smaller goals and the field is smaller. The teams are made up of 5 players and the ball is a little heavier so it doesn't bounce. This was very new to me but so much fun! After not playing for 5 years, I actually still could play goal keeper.  I think the best part of it was we played with all of the young people in both local churches here in Bogota! Being able to fellowship with them was awesome! We are in the process of making a informal youth hangout weekly. Whether it be a movie, dinner, soccer, or a bible study we will get together weekly just to fellowship with one another!
Friday night 11/11/11, I got to experience God in a BIG way here in Bogota.  Hillsong United came and performed at Simon Bolivar park. It was an outdoor concert and to be a part of this worship was amazing! I would estimate about 40,000 people were in attendance here and the rain didn't affect anyone! It was very motivating to see so many people worship in this city. To look across the crowd and see hands raised and tears flowing was so humbling! I am so thankful for this country and the work God is doing here! I am so glad that God has cut me into the action!

The next thing that really touched my heart here was a little girl named Kimberly. She is two weeks old, yes TWO weeks, and without a mother or father. It brought tears to my eyes; this little girl is absolutely beautiful. I took her out of her crib and began to hold her. I fed her, burped her, and put her back to sleep. All the mothers were so impressed that I could do that! They joked that I should take her in my backpack to my house. I wish it was that easy! To see such a beautiful creation of our Father with nothing is very heartbreaking and humbling. I do believe I will visit San Miguelito more frequently now to love on this precious little girl!

Here in Colombia, God has provided! I have many new friends and new family! I have cooked here a few times and they love Texas! haha! I am very thankful God has given me such a great support system here on this side of the battlefield also. I have a Spiritual Mother so close to God that stands very firm in her faith. I have brothers and sisters with a heart for Christ that are teaching me the culture of Bogota. I have friends that talk with God daily and involve Him in every decision. I don't think I could have imagined a better support system but I have it! Here is my family here in Colombia...
The girls watching us play soccer

Jair and I at the Halloween festival
Camila, Nelda, and I at church


Pastor Doraine and myself at church

My Godmother, Nelda and myself

My brother and sister, Oscar and Camila helping me cook

3 comments:

  1. Loved reading this!! Thanks for the update! You are doing good things there Chris! The mother in me wept at the thought of poor baby Kimberly. I know that she was so blessed by your time and affection! Keep up the great work, I cant wait for the next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took me a long time to read it because I had to keep wiping away the tears. Mi cuerpo vive en Texas, pero mi corazón vive en Colombia! Love you Bro...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! you don't know me, my name is Michelle, but I am coming with the group to Columbia in January. Reading this just pulled at my heart. I know that God is leading me to go there even more now and I can't wait to see what he is doing first hand. Thank you for a you are doing and every sacrifice you have made to do it. God bless you and keep you, Chris.

    ReplyDelete